Login

The Brandaris at the western corner of Terschelling is the best known and oldest existing lighthouse in the Netherlands. The 53.7 metres high tower originally dates back to 1594, after the first tower from 1323 collapsed into the sea around 1570. The name is a derivation of Saint Brandarius, a saint after whom the present village of West-Terschelling was named in the Middle Ages. A sign was placed on the fa├žade, 'Tot waarschouwinge aller seevarende die God behoede' - For the guidance of all seafarers whom God protects.